Name: EMPIRE JOHN
Launched: 21/04/1943
Completed: 04/10/1943
Builder: Clelands (Successors) Ltd, Willington Quay
Yard Number: 67
Dimensions: 479grt, 42nrt, 136.0 x 30.1 x 15.3ft
Engines: T3cyl (16.6, 27 & 46 x 30ins), 200nhp
Engines By: Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend
Propulsion: 1 x Screw
Construction: Steel
Reg Number: 169171
History:
1943 Ministry of War Transport (W Watkins Ltd, managers), Newcastle
1944 Managers became Lawson-Batey Tugs Ltd, Newcastle
1945 Managers became W Watkins Ltd, London
1946 Ministry of Transport
1951 Ministry of Shipping
1965 Dominion Coal Co Ltd, Montreal
1965 Commonwealth Metals Inc, Canada
1965 Broken up
Comments: Member of the Englishman Class
Sold to Commonwealth Metals Inc, Canada, for demolition
Re-sold to Cia Espanola de Demolicion Naval, Bilbao for breaking up
Site Map