Name: FYLDE
Launched: 17/01/1881
Completed: 02/1881
Builder: J Reid & Co, Port Glasgow
Yard Number: 6Q
Dimensions: 245grt, 4nrt, 122.4 x 22.5 x 10.8ft
Engines: 2 x C2cyl (25 & 48 x 27ins), 98nhp, 850ihp
Engines By: Rankin & Blackmore Ltd, Greenock
Propulsion: 2 x Screws
Construction: Iron
Reg Number: 73764
History:
02/1881 Lancashire & Yorkshire and London & North Western Railway Companies
02/1881 Registered at Fleetwood
1904 Liverpool Association for the Protection of Commercial Interests as Respects Wrecked and
Damaged Property; "The Liverpool Salvage Association"; renamed PLOVER
1904 Registered at Liverpool
09/1909 Lawson Steam Tug-boat Co Ltd; registered at South Shields
06/1920 Lawson-Batey Tugs Ltd, South Shields
04/1957 Broken up
Comments: 26/9/1914: On Admiralty service renamed PEEWIT
8/3/1920: Returned to owners reverted to PLOVER
1/1953: Damaged when run down by BLENHEIM at Stanhope Buoys, South Shields
4/1957: Sold to BISCO - British Iron & Steel Corp for 4,500
4/1957: Allocated to CW Dorkin & Co Ltd at Gateshead

     Above photo courtesy of Kevin Blair

     Above: PLOVER and others towing HMS THUNDERER into Blyth for scrapping in 1927. Photo courtesy of Kevin Blair

     Above photo courtesy of Eddie Frost

     Above photo courtesy of Eddie Frost

     Above photo courtesy of Kevin Blair

     Above photo courtesy of Richard Cox

     Above photo courtesy of Alan Hughes

     Above photo dated 1955 is copyright of Peter Ross

     Above photo courtesy of Ron Henderson



Site Map