Tyneside Tug Builders in alphabetical order of Surname
Mitchison T, Gateshead
T Mitchison's small shiprepair yard was on the southern bank of the Tyne at Friar's Goose, Gateshead. In the 1830s this site was occupied by a wooden shipbuilding yard, later becoming a repair facility known as Anderson's Slipway. Mitchison bought the yard in 1919. Their first ship was the GREYFRIARS which was partially built by J & D Morris at Pelaw Main, until that yard went into liquidation in 1923.
T Mitchison occupied the yard until 1955 mainly as a shiprepairer for small craft such as tugs. They had a slipway for vessels up to 230ft in length and a repairing quay.
In 1955 the yard was taken over by the London based firm of James Burness & Sons and recommenced shipbuilding. The GREYFRIARS of 1923 had been Morris' yard number 71 and Mitchisons decided to carry on with this sequence. They then built a number of small craft including fishing vessels and tugs. At this time the yard had 5 slips of up to 300 ft in length.
Following financial difficulties, the yard closed in 1964.
The following is a list of tugs built by T Mitchison: